MUMBAI: Despite surrendering to the court after Supreme Court cancelled his bail, Alister Pereira was sent home by the local police and courts on Monday as a certified copy of the apex court order was not available.
“After he surrendered at Khar police station where the FIR against him was registered originally, he was taken to the session’s court,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Pratap Dighavkar said. Following a day of confusion during which he was taken from Khar Police station to Sessions court in Sewri and many intermediate stops he finally reached the Khar police station from where he went back to his house on Carter Road.
“We have not received the copy of the Supreme Court order and hence, even though, he surrendered, we did not arrest him. He will be taken into custody as soon as we receive the court’s order and he will then be sent to jail,” Mr Dighavkar added. The police said Pereira would be informed once the court order was received and he would have to surrender before the court.
Seven people were killed and eight others injured after Pereira, driving under the influence of alcohol, lost control over his car and ran over labourers sleeping by the road side in November 2006. The Supreme Court, on January 12, had ordered Pereira to surrender immediately and serve the remainder of his jail sentence.
Noting that a three-year term in prison is too meagre a punishment for running his car over seven lives in a drunken spree, the Supreme Court, on January 12, had ordered Pereira to surrender immediately and serve the remainder of his jail sentence. The Supreme Court concurred with the Bombay High Court’s verdict holding him guilty for the offence added that the sentence could not be enhanced as Maharashtra government did not challenge it.
The trial court sentenced him to six months’ simple imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 5 lakh for ‘rash and negligent driving’ (Section 304 A of IPC). Following a public furore on the quantum of punishment, the Bombay High Court in 2007 took suo motu cognisance of the case and raised the punishment to three years, convicting him under culpable homicide not amounting to murder. Pereira, who has spent only two months in jail so far, approached the SC against the High Court verdict where his bail plea was cancelled. (Eom)
MUMBAI: Agreeing to the demand of providing security to Indu Mills compound the state government, on Wednesday, told the Bombay High Court that it will ensure that there is no repetition of forcible occupation of the premises.
On Wednesday the court had asked the state to file a statement if it would ensure that the mill compound is protected in future so that it can not be encroached upon. On Dec 6 the activists forced their way into the mill compound at Dadar demanding that a memorial for Dr Babasaheb Ambedekar be constructed there. After the state assured the Dalit leaders that their demand will be met, they vacated the Indu Mills land last Friday.
On Thursday, National Textile Corporation the court that while the RPI activists who had taken possession of the mills have left the premises, the statues of Lord Buddha and Babasaheb Ambedkar have been left behind and the activists can take them back at any time.(Eom)
A DAY BEFOER
MUMBAI: The Bombay High Court, on Tuesday, directed Maharashtra government to make a statement regarding whether it would provide proper security at the Indu mills compound to ensure that it is not encroached upon again.
A division bench of Justices D K Deshmukh and Anoop Mohta was hearing a petition filed by National Textile Corporation (NTC) seeking directions to Mumba
i police and state government to evict Republican Sena activists who had forcibly occupied the 4.2 acres Indu mills compound. On Dec 6 the activists forced their way into the mill compound at Dadar demanding that a memorial for Dr Babasaheb Ambedekar be constructed there. After the state assured the Dalit leaders that their demand will be met, they vacated the land last Friday.
With a view to prevent similar incidents the state has been asked to file the statement on Wednesday. NTC’s counsel Darius Khambata told the court that even though the encroachers evicted the compounds voluntarily after negotiations the government had to ensure that such incidents do not occur again. “The government should make a statement that proper protection will be given so that the incident is not repeated,” Justice Deshmukh said.
One of the 11 accused in the J Dey murder case filed a bail plea in the Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on medical grounds, stating that he was HIV positive and needed treatment.
The MCOCA court extended Anil Waghmode’s judicial custody on Tuesday till January 16.
The prosecution is likely to file its reply on the bail application next week.
The District court in Chandigarh was vacated, on 6th Aug after the police control room received a hoax call about a bomb being placed inside the court.
“We took no chances and got the Court premises vacated. Bomb disposal squad team and sniffer dogs were pressed into service,” Chandigarh’s Senior Superintendent of Police, S S Srivastava said here.
The district court, which is adjacent to the Inter State Bus Terminus in the city’s commercial hub, Sector 17 is one of the busiest areas of the city.
Police immediately reached the spot with the bomb squad, “Someone called the police control room at 10.25 a.m. and said a bomb had been planted in the district court in Sector 17.We searched the whole area and the court compound for over two hours but did not find anything,” Kulwant Singh, station head officer of Sector 17 police station.
“The call was made from some mobile phone and we will soon catch the culprit. Now we have increased our vigil at the main gates and in the surrounding areas,” said Singh.
it was later realised that the bomb call was made by a couple living in a nearby village. They had a date in the court and din’t want to go so they felt that the easy way out was to call in a BOMB>